Friday, April 17, 2009

Fairmount Park

Today after attempting to visit the Philadelphia Zoo -- which turned out to be a complete zoo -- Jill and I decided Fairmont Park was a good alternate way to bask in the sunshine and spend time with the kiddos.


If you're not familiar, Fairmont Park is the largest city park in the United States and is one of the oldest too. It was originally founded in 1855 and encompasses 9,200 acres! So basically, it's enormous, neverending and quite beautiful.

One feature of the park that has always interested me, but I had never seen, is the Japanese House and Garden.


The house was built in 1953 as a goodwill gesture from Japan following the end of WWII. It was originally designed as a model home for the courtyard of the MoMA, but was moved to Fairmont Park in Philadelphia as a permanent attraction in 1958.

It isn't technically open for tours until next month, but we totally lucked out and walked up as a school group was leaving, so they let us take a quick peak. It was so simple and peaceful. What a way to live!


Afterward, we ate lunch in a little gazebo in the park and hung out.
The weather was nice and warm; we even busted out the sun screen for the babies. Hooray!!!! Can I tell you how long I've been waiting for this weather? Much, much too long.

Jill and Allison, the little explorer

When I was looking at the camera, Isaac picked a daffodil up off the step and, naturally, took a huge bite out of it. Lovely. The next couple pictures were trying to extract said flower from baby's mouth with 5 1/2 sharp teeth inside. Ouch.

Jill, thanks for another great outing! I always look forward to our adventures.

No comments: